5 things to look for in a perfect dog collar
Collars are one accessory that not just help in training and safeguarding your pet but are also great for vanity. Choosing the perfect collar for your dog however can be a daunting task. But it shouldn’t be, if you know the very basics of getting the right product for them.
Here are five simple things that you need to keep in mind while choosing the purr-fect collar that suits yours as well as your dog’s needs.
- Type of collar
- Material of collar
- Breed of your dog
- Is your dog aggressive
- Your reason for getting your dog a collar
Types of collars available:
There are a wide variety of collars available in the market. Are they all perfect for your dog? NO, each type of collar has a different usage for your fur babies. Some collars are built to train them while some are mere vanity. Then what type is best for your dog? Let’s find out!
- Flat Buckle – These are the most convenient types of collars for both parent and the dog. They are easy to use, just snap and go. They are also most comfortable for the dog, most widely available and come in a vast range of colour options. Use Flat Buckle collar for puppies who are going to wear a collar for the first time. They are used to train your dog for wearing a collar
- Martingale Collar – These are the most comfortable collars available for narrow necked dogs or puppies. There is a loop attached to the rear end of the collar via two metal rings & works by tightening itself whenever the tightening loop is pulled. It wraps itself around the neck giving control to the dog handler
- Choke Collar- Works by choking around the neck when the leash is pulled, there is a small chain attached to the collar via two metal rings which tends to tighten when leash is pulled. Martingale and choke collars work on the same principle i.e. to tighten itself whenever leash is pulled with a main difference that the martingale collar has a nylon soft fabric loop attached to the collar instead of a metal chain as in choke collars.
- Prong or Pinch collar- Not the most ideal collar for a dog as it contains 2 metal hooks on the inside of the collar which works by sticking in the skin when the leash is pulled. Thus harming the dog. These types of collars are not recommended for dogs.
- Harnesses - Harnesses are the best choice for a dog or puppy with a narrow neck and a delicate body stature, as the body harness shifts the tension of the pull from the neck to the entire trunk of the dog, thus preventing neck injuries.
- Head Halter – These types of collars are used for the purpose of training dogs or if your dog is too big in size. Halter loops around the head and the leash sits on the neck attached to a muzzle. It gives more leverage to the handle and also helps in leading and tying an animal. Halters are usually used in farm animals rather than pet animals.
Material of collar:
Material of the collar plays similar importance as the type of collar does, if the material is of low quality then it will irritate the skin of your dog and will cause discomfort. It is key to choose what type of material that is best for your dog: if your dog has a certain skin allergy then avoid that material anyhow.
There are various types of materials available in dog collars such as :
Each of these materials has its sets of Pro’s & Con’s
- Nylon- The most widely and easily available material of choice for the product is nylon .It is pretty easy to find a nylon collar. Nylon collar products come in a huge range of designs and price points. These are ideal choice for a new pet parent as it is inexpensive,and comes in a wide variety of designs incorporating every need of the parent as well as the pet.
- Neoprene – It is a soft rubber-like material used in wet suits and lined by a thin layer of nylon over it to increase the durability. It provides the most comfortable fit among other collar ranges. It dries easily too so it is the first choice of those dog parents who regularly go out for a swim with their dogs and during the rainy season. Neoprene collars have just one drawback: they are expensive and their designs are very limited.
- Chains – These are the one of the most durable materials in the collar section and it never stinks. If the metal used is of low quality, it might rust very quickly or might snap in two. One thing to remember here is that chains should not be left on unattended dogs as they may get stuck easily and strangulate your dog.
- Leather- Leather collars are the ideal choice of product when the dog’s skin is sensitive. Leather collars are the most natural and breathable product you can get on the market. It is durable and easy to clean just a wet wipe down the collar and it will be as clean as new. When you are going for a leather collar, look for genuine leather instead of bonded leather as genuine leather is more durable. Bonded leather is made by using small leather pieces joined together using a bonding agent that makes it less durable. Moreover, the bonding agent may be toxic for your dog .
Breed of your dog
Breed should be considered while choosing the right collar for your dog as it will guide you with the size, stature of the dog ,behavior ;whether your dog is aggressive or mild in nature. Does he follow your commands or not? These all will determine what kind of collar you need, a sturdier one or a lighter one etc. Consult the seller or use the right filters online to find the right product for your dog.
Temper of your dog
Aggressive behavior needs to be tamed as it jeopardizes your safety as well as the safety of your pet and family members especially if there are kids in your house. Simple collars will never be able to do the job here. Aggressive behavior needs special attention to make your pooch follow your commands
Martingale and choke collars are one of the better options in case of aggressive dogs, with the added safety from muzzles .
Need of a collar
Have you just introduced a dog in your house? or Have you just adopted a puppy? A simple collar with do the trick so that the pooch starts to get used to it
If your dog is a runner, a collar with his name and your address might come in handy if he leaves the house when he is being looked at. If he's difficult to control on walks, the collar helps to tame and train your pet.
ChullBull Pet Products are pet parents' first choice.
As pet parents ourselves, we wanted to make owning and loving a pet not a thing of luxury alone. So we decided to make a pet products brand that is affordable, sustainable and made in India with a lot of pawsome love.